What is Success

Cindy Hale chale at sage.nrri.umn.edu
Fri Jan 28 16:21:10 EST 1994

I felt compelled to respond to Patricia's comments on it being to late.
While I may agree with her that if you define succeeding in science as
walking with the big names then yes, a degree from Harvard would help you
along.  But to suggest that anything less than that is not succeeding
gives precious little room for being human or for acknowledging ones own
strengths, weaknesses and preferences.  I see no reason to judge yourself
by this small elite group.
I have every reason to believe I am smart enough and motivated enough to
contribute to science in a substantial and meaningful way even if I do
not win a Nobel Prize or have my name added to the list of who's who in
science.
The world is a big place and science is a big place and success should be
measured by your own sense of balance, ability ot contribute and right
and wrong.  Self esteem, I believe, is a product of self awareness and
knowledge of ones self as a unique individual and should not be destroyed
by comparing ourselves to other ideals.
Also, remember, once you've made it to the top you have to live there.
While some can do that well, many suffer permanent damage to their
emotional, physical, spiritual and personal lives.  I would prefer to live
as a lesser know, maybe more stable and happy person.