Sexism in Med-School

Bonnie Nestor NESTORM at FEDC04.FED.ORNL.GOV nestorm at fedc04.fed.ornl.gov
Tue Jan 25 14:17:38 EST 1994

I'm not a doctor, but both of my sisters are! The older one graduated from
med school 16 years ago; the younger one, about 6 years ago. Both of them
have told me that yes, they encountered some sexist B.S. in med school (and
since!), but there is less now than there used to be.
Both of them went into family practice, where they don't perceive a lot of
sexism -- unless you count the fact that a lot of women prefer to have a
woman as their primary care physician, and a fair number of men are a little
nervous about it.
They are not nearly as worried about sexism as they are about trying to make
a decent living. I don't care WHAT you've read in the papers, primary care
physicians are not the people who are robbing the public blind. (Sorry. I'll
get down off the soapbox now.)
Congratulations and good luck to Brandi and her friend -- you probably will
encounter some sexism (unfortunately, there are "intelligent" people who
suffer from it, too), but anyone who can get into med school should be
able to deal with it!

Bonnie Nestor
mnj at ornl.gov
Disclaimer: I'm speaking as a private citizen (under the probably misguided
            assumption that there is such a thing).