pornography at work

Tonya Frederic frederic at engpub1.bu.edu
Fri Jan 28 02:49:43 EST 1994

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice regarding a situation at school involving pornography.
In my research group we have many Silicon Graphics computers which can
display very high quality color pictures.  Last year a male student (let's
call him Mike) who shares my office was telling me about a another male
student in our office (Lou, let's say) who had been looking at porno pictures
on one of our machines with a couple of friends.  Mike portrayed them all as
complete perverts and thoroughly condemned the girly show.  One day Lou
flashed one of the pictures up on the screen where I was working, I let
him know I didn't appreciate it, and it never happened again.  Nor did
I hear or see anything further regarding this pastime.

In the past few months Mike has been wasting many hours going through
files in various news groups.  A few weeks ago Lou started making a few
disparaging jokes toward him about looking at dirty pictures, and I noticed
that Mike had protected all the directories in his account so that no one
could look at any of his stuff.  Anyway, today I twice caught him displaying
porno pictures when I was walking behind him.  He doesn't know anyone saw.
Shortly afterwards he grabbed his coat and left, probably to go home and...
you know.

I would just like to thoroughly shame and embarrass him, in front of the
whole research group.  He was a complete hypocrite in trying to bias me
against another member of the group (who only did this once, as far as
I know), and I never would have known if he hadn't told me.  More importantly,
I am very opposed to pornography and find the whole thing offensive.
These are departmental computers and this is a public work area, and he
is supposed to be doing research rather than getting off.

I am considering sending a message to my advisor asking him to send a
general mail message to the group stating that these machines are not
to be used to view pornography.  I probably should just handle it on
my own, but that doesn't satisfy my vindictive desires.  Maybe at our
next group meeting I should casually ask Mike where he gets those porno
pictures that he's always viewing on the computers.  Any suggestions
as to how to handle this?  I'll bet I'm not the only one with male
coworkers displaying pornography.

Tonya Frederic
BU Dept. of Biomed. Eng.