tenure stats

Holly J Ferguson hferguso at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jan 19 17:21:05 EST 1994

Hi netters:
Finally women-in-bio is alive again. And lots of lively subjects!
I am a single woman scientist, 35, and still trying to find that special
lifemate (of the male gender). So though I don't have the family issues
to deal with (yet), there are always other things competing for my time.
I am a post-doc and will in the near future have to make a decision about
pursuing tenure-track positions.  I've read here and there about female-
specific problems of attaining tenure and then on the other side of the
coin, there are the great AA programs for hiring women and minorities and
retaining them.  Does anyone know of statistics that show the number of
women hired in tenure-track positions and how many of those were tenured?
There should be enough data by this time.
Sincerely,

Holly Ferguson (@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)