advisor w/ nose in sexlife

Mark Benedym benedym at hcx.rockefeller.edu
Mon Jan 17 23:04:31 EST 1994

In article <1994Jan14.092914.1 at omrf.uokhsc.edu> ewingd at omrf.uokhsc.edu writes:
>If your advisor, or potential advisor, has a poor attitude toward women,
>I suggest staying anonymous and asking the people in this newsgroup for
>suggestions on other people to study under.
>
>I observe that staying with an advisor with a bad habit will very probably
>get you jobs or postdocs with people with the same bad habit.  I understand
>the problem of wanting the job or the knowledge and putting up with a bad
>habit because if you report the person (expletive deleted) then you lose no
>matter what.
 (more stuff deleted)

The above is absolutely true.  Although male, I think the above problem
falls underthe category of personality conflict with your advisor.  I am
at the end of a long PhD stint in genetics, and have seen many students
screwed by their rationalization that "so and so is a big name, so I can
live with it, etc."...Grad school in the sciences is an incredibly sexist
realm to begin with, so caveat emptor when choosing an advisor if you're
a women.

my 2 cents,

Mark Benedyk
benedym at rockvax.rockefeller.edu