read this

ewingd at omrf.uokhsc.edu ewingd at omrf.uokhsc.edu
Wed Jan 12 11:14:23 EST 1994

To the unknown lesbian scientist and all others who would be educated.

First, thanks to the person who hemi-flamed unknown person.  Without your
comments I would not be replying to this post.

There are problems and benefits to coming out as a lesbian scientist.
The major benefit is being able to be honest with people in a vocation in
which honesty is supposedly a requirement.

The problems are numerous.  I made many of the mistakes that heterosexuals
make.  I had an affair with a TA and only because my performance in class
was legitimatly outstanding were my grades not in question.
  There are women, married and single, who will'hit' on you and there are
women who are afraid to be in same restroom eventhough everyone is in a
stall.  There are men who confuse no wedding ring with a license for them
to hunt.  There are men who find lesbians incredibly attractive.  There are
people who think that you have no right to be on this earth let alone have
a decent position in life.
  I interviewed with my first graduate-school advisor and privately told him
that I was I lesbian and that I could understand if he had a problem with
this situation and that I would honor any such feelings by looking for another
advisor.  He said he had no problem.  Within a year I discovered that his
first wife had left him for another woman and in consequence there was no
way that I would ever leave his lab with an advanced degree.
  At this point I would like to thank Anita Hill for continuing to clarify
the issues of sexual harrassment after being royally flamed for the Clarence
Thomas situation.

  Then there are those precious people of all races, colors, genders, sexual
orientations and any other division who accept others for the valuable people
that we are.

Good luck & I hope this helps,

D. Ewing   ...stranger than fiction.