genetics and ethics

kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk kkaye at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 06:35:58 EST 1994

When raising a general query about genetics and ethics I admit to having a lot
on my mind- but I think I should. The committee on genetic ethics in this
country has a number of women on it, including the philosopher Mary Warnock, so
I don't agree that all such committees are not worth a damn.

What do we mean by "care" ? What if people take the view that they are entitled
to have and care for a baby who might be identified by genetic screening as
having a high probability, or certainty, of pathology and relatively early
death, then what? As another poster wrote, at the moment the only option for
the use of a given test is either let the pregnancy continue or terminate it.

Do we, as scientists, have enough control over the release and use of the tests
we develop?

Katherine J. Kaye (Dr.)
kkaye at vax.ox.ac.uk