Advice Sought

Dr. Claire D. Sherman sherman at hell.niehs.nih.gov
Sun Dec 4 10:43:19 EST 1994

In article <1994Dec3.233054.16134 at mcnc.org> wendy at mcnc.org (Wendy Wortham)
writes:
> To make what could be a long story/question shorter, I'm looking for
> information that will help me decide what I should do once I finish my
> On a related note, if I should choose to postpone graduate school in
order
> to take a job and get my feet a bit wet (might this be advisable?), does
> anyone know what types of jobs are available with only a BS in biochem?

Wendy,

Although I am not a biochem major, I took a year off between
undergrad and grad school to figure out what in particular
I wished to study while in grad school. I had already applied
to grad school and deferred all of my decisions for one year
(I'm sure this decision was not popular with the grad schools
I applied to). I found that the year I took to make decisions
was incredibly beneficial. It gave me job experience, time
to think about what I really wanted out of grad school, and
a few extra dollars in my pocket. Since I knew I wanted to
go to grad school, it was not difficult to leave the workplace.
However, some people find it difficult to return to school and
the standard of living of a student. This is one of the
"pitfalls" of taking a year off, if it sidetracks you from
your real goals.

Good luck,

Claire

BTW - After I finished my PhD, the company I had worked for
      during my transition period from undergrad to grad was
      more than happy to have me return. I didn't return to
      that company ... but that's another story altogether.

Claire D. Sherman, Ph.D.
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
sherman at peabody.niehs.nih.gov