real scientists

But my good woman, you are a man! ADREGER at UCS.INDIANA.EDU
Sun Aug 28 12:36:23 EST 1994

Yes, I think the New York Times did run McClintock's obit on the front
page.

Leslie, you mention in passing the "ideal" of the real scientist.  Can
you articulate that, or is that what you meant when you talked about the
scientific method (the ideal method)?

I have heard *so* many scientist remark that "The Scientific Method" is
really just an ideal not a reality.  If that is so, what is gained by
the perpetuation of that myth?  (Distancing oneself from creation
scientists and cookbook writers?  Though the latter really did seem to
use the classic scientific method -- making hypotheses, testing them,
revising them.)  Also, is there ONE scientific method?  If not, what
does it mean for something to be "scientific"?

Alice Dreger
Indiana U.