married...in grad school...with children

Cathy Quinones quinones at orchid.UCSC.EDU
Fri Aug 26 19:25:37 EST 1994

In article <33l6vh$r1d at tierra.santafe.ede> cheryl at wijiji.santafe.edu (C. A. Stewart) writes:

>In article <33h7aa$378 at darkstar.UCSC.EDU> quinones at orchid.UCSC.EDU (Cathy Quinones) writes:
>>KILL THIS THREAD!  See thread die.  Die, thread, die...
>
>You're not going to change the facts by killing the messenger, dearie.
>
>>Do Not Resucitate.
>>Go bye-bye.
>>All in favor say "Aye"...
>
>It's very characteristic of women in their 20's to think that all
>the "bad things feminists complain about" will never happen to THEM,
	(stuff deleted)

There's more than 1 definition of feminism, I do not subscribe to yours.

>will) destroy both your reputation and your career.  Good luck, girl.

Somehow I sense you don't mean this, you truly hope "the hatchet falls"
on my head, as if at the first undesirable incident I am going to think
"Ye gods, that woman was right!!!  I should post to .women-in-bio so
she can gloat!"  Keep your luck to yourself, I am doing just fine :)

>Guess you'll just have to find out the hard way.
>
>Enjoy graduate school---which, as I understand, you haven't started yet.

Oh no!  My cover has been blown!!  I confess, the Graduate Division and the
Dept. of Biology kindly supply this account so I can post rose-colored
versions of the graduate world.  I guess I can't count myself as a
"real feminist" or a "real woman" or a "real researcher" until I have
filed at least one harassment suit, can I?  Such presumption on my part
to DARE to present my opinions and experiences!  Such gall to confess
I respect my male peers and teachers!  Quick!  Shoot me, shoot me before
the word gets out!!!

Actually, I know I am spearheading the movement to KILL THIS THREAD and
that by answering I am breaking the rules... I just had to gloat on
the fact that this morning someone sent me e-mail in support of the
KILL THIS THREAD movement and I responded "I am waiting for her to
turn on me and take my suggestion as a personal attack."

KILL THIS THREAD means that some people are sick and tired of reading
vitrolic attacks on male academics which some of us find (1) offensive
and (2) not true in our experience.  The fact that we haven't had to
walk on ground glass, swallow fire or have been sexually harassed during
undergraduate, graduate or postdoctoral situations doesn't mean we aren't
deserving of whatever happiness, satisfaction or achievement our labors
have awarded us.

And, by the way, in the internet, a "thread" means a discussion that is
stuck under a certain heading, and it isn't uncommon to have someone
ask that the thread be killed, often because the discussion has strayed
way beyond what the subject heading implies.  The fact that you take the
KILL THIS THREAD suggestion personally suggests that you think you own
the thread, which isn't true.  If you want to take this as a personal attack,
be my guest, it doesn't surprise me, although it is not my intention.
(Funny also how you didn't reply to any of the other 2 posts that
"voted" to end the thread... is this some sort of personal thing against
me? Am I being too articulate?  Or is the problem the fact that I have
personal opinions that you want to stomp down?  My reality vs. yours,
why is yours more valid than mine?  Must I first suffer before I am
"entitled" to have opinions?  Nah, I have tried that suffering martyr shit,
it doesn't get you any farther than a positive one does.)

What was saying?  Oh yeah, KILL THIS THREAD!  Pretty please?
--
////// /\_/\_____   \\  /// quinones at biology.ucsc.edu ////