faculty positions for spouses

AC Missias acm at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Mon Aug 15 12:36:45 EST 1994

In article <32nivh$flc at hermod.uio.no>
lakleczk at bioslave.uio.no (Leszek Andrzej Kleczkowski) writes:

> Now the relevant question:  how likely it is that BOTH spouses will edge
> over 100 qualified candidates per position?  In cases that I know it was
> the male part of the family who got the "lead" position, with the woman
> ending up as research ass. prof.  I am sure there are opposite cases
> (with women getting "lead" position), but they are probably less
> numerous.  In any case, negotiating a faculty position (or tenure-track)
> for a spouse is not an exception, however disgusting it may be for those
> who value merit in job applicants.

I just want to point out your assumption that in all of these "spouse
problem" cases there are two job slots available (one of which is
"stolen" by the underqualified spouse) -- in the cases I have seen, the
issue is whether the university is willing to *create* a position for
the spouse of the courted faculty person (ignoring those lucky
circumstances when two excellent candidates for two open positions
appear).  This may mean digging up a 2nd track position in the same
department, or substantial inter-departmental negotiations, but this is
the real world that universities have to face, especially if they want
to recruit top women candidates, many/most of whom have professional
spouses and offers to choose from.  To respond to the original post, I
have definitely known of women who have turned down a job offer, or
left their current position for another, for reasons of spousal
accommodation.  Listen up, department heads!!