faculty positions for spouses

Angeline Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 15 11:25:40 EST 1994

In article <32nivh$flc at hermod.uio.no>,
Leszek Andrzej Kleczkowski <lakleczk at bioslave.uio.no> wrote:
>CSTAICER at AC.DAL.CA wrote:
>
>: I am gathering information on what other universities have done to
>: accomodate spouses of biology (or other science) faculty members.  Any
>: information on the situation at your university would be much appreciated.

[snip, snip]

>Now the relevant question:  how likely it is that BOTH spouses will edge
>over 100 qualified candidates per position?

[and more deletion, in the interest of brevity]

Permit me to provide a data point: in my department, the last open
position--and there was only one--received 400 applications. Two of the
top six candidates were (are) married to each other. They both were hired,
into tenure-track positions. I don't know what if any salary negotiations
were involved. Sounds like the exception, but it can happen.

BTW, she just birthed their second child and returned to the lab within
days; the baby's crib stays in dad's office, mom comes down to nurse.
Even more incidentally, dad's office is down the hall from my lab, and
the baby's crying doesn't even fall into the range of bothersome. The
arrangement seems to work out for all parties involved, and it's even
heartening to see one or another faculty member in the office checking
for mail with a baby strapped in a snugli on her/his belly.

Angie