married...in grad school...w/children

"Tammy" L. Roust troust at beat.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 13 18:08:16 EST 1994

	By the way, I forgot to say that I'm not planning on having children
in grad school.  My Undergrad Neuroscience majors program involves a senior
year of research and thesis, during which I plan to have children.  This is
because I need to be enrolled in the insurance program when I get pregnant,
as well as when I have the child, for us to be covered.  Plus, this way I
can become acclimated to graduate school with a child, as opposed to getting
used to graduate school and then getting used to graduate school with a child.
I also set myself up for having a child, graduating, and having three months
with both my husband and I off to take care of the baby.  It also reduces the
time we have to wait to enroll the baby in the daycare which our schools
provide while we are in grad school.
	I can't really describe the many factors we took into consideration
when we tried to decide when a good time to have a child would be.  We even
had to consider when how our parents would react, which most of the people
posting did not have to consider.  When we got married, my mother-in-law even
said, "But I'm too young to be a mother-in-law!", which is why I call her
"Mom".  She's 43 years old.  She's made the comment that she doesn't want to
be an under-45 grandmother, so we have to respect that.  My mother doesn't
care, really, as long as we finish our education and have a baby before my
brother and his wife do (I got married six months before my brother, which
really frazzled her nerves).

Tammy
--
"Watch?? I'm gonna pray, Man!  Know any good religions?" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox