IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

married...in grad school...w/children

"Tammy" L. Roust troust at shred.ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 11 00:05:25 EST 1994

Newsgroups: bionet.women-in-bio
Subject: Re: making compromises
References: <32atk8$lv1 at agate.berkeley.edu> <32bab9$13s at news.u.washington.edu>
Organization: California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA

In article <32bab9$13s at news.u.washington.edu>,
Paul Barton-Davis <pauld at cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>In article <32atk8$lv1 at agate.berkeley.edu> lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu (Leslie Kay) writes:
>In the more general case, if a couple are surviving financially in the
>USA right now, they are almost certainly not both in graduate
>school. Given the general observations from women in this group that

	You're right.  In some cases, however, when grad students get a
great deal of funding, it is reasonable to obtain a lower middle class
income level.  For example, the average for my graduate program at UCLA
in excess (neuroscience) is around $30,000, because of the enormous amount
of funding available.  The average excess for my husband's program (astro-
physics) at Caltech is around $25,000 in the grad division.  This is 
independent of anything earned by TAing.  

>it can be a lot easier to have children while still a grad student,
>this sort of implies that the father has a job that pays better than
>grad school does, which in turn tends to make it difficult for him to
>become the primary-care-parent, due to the financial impact that would
>This isn't so true if you're willing to consider child care as an
>option, whereupon parental duties become delivery/collection and
>things in the evening/nightime/morning. Under such conditions, it

	Most schools I know of will accept children as young as 6 mos into
their child care programs.  All of these programs are free to financially 
needy students with children.  Have you checked this option with your 
wife's school? UCLA is willing to completely subsidize my child care until
my child is 5, and has facilities on campus for this.  In addition, they
have many children's programs available.  As if this weren't enough, 
Caltech does the same thing - they have their own Children's Center, and
they don't bother with charges for children of students, staff and faculty.  
Now if I could only get UCLA to pay for my well-baby nursery charges....

	Oh, one more thing, this is a long shot, but I think that if you
are receiving federal monies for grad school you also qualify for federal
day-care programs, some of which will accept infants.  I'm only mentioning
this in case you don't want to wait until the baby is 6 mos. old and you
need federally subsidized child care.  These spots fill up really quick,
though.  Also, you could always hire help with the baby and take it as
an income tax deduction if you itemize.  Any fees you may be charged under
the federal program are also deductible as child care expenses if you 
itemize.  Sorry there isn't more, but there really aren't
many options for newborn infants.   Hope this helps!

troust at ugcs.caltech.edu
Undergrad Neuroscience Major
Brain Research Institute

"Watch?? I'm gonna pray, Man!  Know any good religions?" -- Zaphod Beeblebrox

More information about the Womenbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net