children and careers

ct ctimpte at bio.indiana.edu
Fri Aug 5 17:05:53 EST 1994

	Along the lines of previous posts on children and careers, and "life
doesn't
always turn out as you wish", I would like to add my 2 cents worth.

						My feeling is most emphatically to say that if you really want
children
and your relationship is off to a stable place, do it as soon as YOU feel
ready. Don't wait for a convenient place in your career. As others have
stated, there isn't a convenient place.  And since I am in the midst of
an almost 3 year struggle with infertility, I can attest that things may
not work the way you planned!

						I am a post-doc, 34 and have only been married for 4+ years, hence
the
late start.  My postdoc has offered much flexibility to pursue the time
consuming medical "treatments"...and there would have been plenty of time
for a baby! I never suspected that I would be in this position of possibly
not having a biological family.

						From this experience, I suggest that if something (children, poetry,
sports, doin' nuthin' ) is important to you, you can make time for it and
still do the 60 hour week!   Better than waking up on your 60th birthday
and deciding that you made a big omission in your life!

	just MHO!
candace