Life Angst, or is there life outside lab and should there be?

Georg Hoermann schorsch at pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.d400.de
Fri Aug 5 08:30:18 EST 1994

In article <31r418$eft at cerberus-138.wustl.edu> acm at pharmdec.wustl.edu (AC Missias) writes:

>How many other people have wished that they had the time to get more
>involved with activities, organizations, interests that they value but
>push to the side?  To what extent is this just a fact of life in any
>career versus being something specific to science or perhaps to
>academia?  How do people attempt to answer these questions for
>themselves?

Hi there,
I try to keep my mind open for at least one thing besides science.
The problem is a common one in academia and sometimes I
am astonished how many neurotics/workoholics work in
academia (this is perhaps a problem of the german system).
I do not want to finish as an idiot specialized
in a very interesting, but very limited subject,
unable to talk about other things than e.g. insect legs.
The problem for me was that no one stopped me from working
all day at the university. you have to do it yourself.

My turning point was the decision to stay in academia.
At this time I realized that I cannot continue like this,
working day, night and weekends.
I reactivated my interests in music etc. and tried to find
my personal equilibrium between work and myself.

>I think that being a woman comes into this specifically in two ways:

no, I had the same problem and if I look at me I do not find any
signs of feminism 8-).

>Thanks in advance for the reality checks.
>-ACM

Welcome to the club 8-)

Gruss Georg

---
Georg Hoermann, Ecosystem Research Center, Kiel University, Germany
schorsch at pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.d400.de, georg at geki.toppoint.de