Life Angst, or is there life outside lab and should there be?

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Aug 4 15:57:17 EST 1994

>In article <31r418$eft at cerberus-138.wustl.edu>,
>AC Missias <acm at pharmdec.wustl.edu> wrote:
>>
>>How many other people have wished that they had the time to get more
>>involved with activities, organizations, interests that they value but
>>push to the side?  To what extent is this just a fact of life in any
>>career versus being something specific to science or perhaps to
>>academia?  How do people attempt to answer these questions for
>>themselves?

You always need to take some time out for yourself at least once a week.
Take Sunday afternoons and pump some iron or go for a spin on your
rollerblades, or do whatever else makes you happy.  The majority of
graduate  students in this department are involved in some competitive
sports such as running, swimming, triathlons, etc. and they do take time
out to train. If you spend all your waking hours in the lab you will go
absolutely nuts, and that will drastically lower your productivity.
It is true that more than 40 hours a week are required to make some
decent progress, but that also applies to lots of other occupations. And
in science, you can set your own hours. I'm a night-owl, so if I were to
try to make it to the lab by 8 am I would be totally exhausted and end up
useless before 3 pm. So I work 10:30 am -> 10:30 pm instead.This keeps my
energy level up, so that when I get home I'm still in the mood to read a
book, paint, etc. (until about 3 a.m.).
Because I put in more that 40hours a week, I feel absolutely *no* guilt about
taking the occasional afternoon off to work out, especially if I have a
rollerblade race coming up. I have actually come up with the ideas for my
best experiments while I was working out.

Annette
ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu