citation rates

Caroline A Breitenberger cbreiten at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 13 09:28:28 EST 1994

Once again, the Net proves its worth..........

The reference I was looking for yesterday, in which J. Scott Long
compared numbers of publications with citation rates for male and
female biochemists is:  J.S. Long, Current Contents (1993)
36[11]:4-13.  The original study was published in Social Forces
(1992) 71[1]:159-78.  I learned about the study from a summary
written by Elizabeth Culotta and published in The Scientist (1993)
7[15]:14-15.  The graphs suggest that, *overall* women are cited
less than men, but *per paper*, papers by women are cited more
often.  Elizabeth Culotta's summary suggested that maybe women are
more cautious and thorough, leading to fewer, more significant
publications.

Sarah Pallas also recommended a book by Zuckerman and Cole, The
Outer Circle, which I have not seen, but will certainly look up.

Thanks to the following for responding to my query and helping me
locate the right references:
Laura Hyatt <lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu>;
Ricardo Azpiroz <azpiroz at ccit.arizona.edu>;
Claudia Johnson <claudia at geosc.psu.edu>;
Sarah Pallas <pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu>; and
Deborah C Jaworski <djaworsk at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>.

(My original message:)
> I'm trying to locate a reference and hope some of you might help
> me.  I remember seeing a paper which came to the conclusion that,
> although women generally publish fewer papers, their citation
> rates are higher.  (Maybe I just think this is true, and
> therefore it should have been published....)  Does anyone recall
> seeing relevant data?

Thanks again to all,
 Caroline Breitenberger
 Ohio State University Department of Biochemistry
 caroline+ at osu.edu