women candidates

rebekah rasooly YBRTBIO at SJUMUSIC.STJOHNS.EDU
Wed Apr 13 14:23:06 EST 1994

st.johns hired me as their second clare boothe luce professor
last year.  mrs. luce left money in her will to several universities
to assist women in the "hard" sciences and math.  our program here
might be a model for universities concerned about hiring more women.
the luce money goes to support undergraduates, graduate students and
two faculty members.  as faculty we get summer salary and supply
money for 5 years.  the supply money is unrestricted in that i am
encouraged to use it for ANY expense related to my work as a
scientist, including child care.
having this money takes off some of the financial burden of working
full-time with children.  having the integrated luce program fosters
an environment where there are many successful women at all levels
in several departments.
of course, the recruitment was only for women and i was obviously
not involved in reviewing the other files, but i understand that
there were many applicants (over 100) and many qualified applicants.
let me add though, that as a graduate of an agriculturally-oriented
university, i know that many departments are not receptive places
for women, minorities or for that matter molecular biology oriented
faculty.  this kind of concern has to be addressed by making changes
at the top (tenured faculty, chairman, etc.)