citation rates

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 12 19:57:18 EST 1994

In article <2oebg8$4tv at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
cbreiten at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Caroline A Breitenberger) writes:
>I'm trying to locate a reference and hope some of you might help me.  I
>remember seeing a paper which came to the conclusion that, although women
>generally publish fewer papers, their citation rates are higher.  (Maybe I
just
>think this is true, and therefore it should have been published....)
>
>Does anyone recall seeing relevant data?
>
>Thanks,
>Caroline Breitenberger
>Ohio State University Department of Biochemistry
>caroline+ at osu.edu
>614-292-9473

I think I saw this fact stated in an article that was published in a special
"Women in Science" issue of Science a year or two ago.  I don't think
statistics were published, but maybe you could contact the author and find out
where that fact came from.  Sorry I can't be more specific, but you are not
just wishfully thinking, I remember seeing that info, too.

Rae Nishi
OHSU
Portland Oregon

P.S. to regular women in bio netters: I'm back after having a baby girl Feb 17.