Women and e-mail

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Fri Sep 17 12:12:20 EST 1993

In article <930916081845.206250c1 at WINROCK.ORG> DRAEGER at WINROCK.ORG writes:

>I found the comments about women using E-mail to be very interesting. This
>subject came up earlier when Una Smith urged us to expand from this net
>into the larger scientific net. So tell me what are the advantages of using
>the system at large? I have been on a number of nets for some time and have
>hardly encountered subjects that I would feel the need to comment on or
>question. Am I on the wrong nets? Or do I simply not understand the
>importance of being connected to the greater scientific community? I am
>serious when I say that I would like to know the advantages and benfits of
>using and contributing to system. Is this a new version of the "old boys"
>network?
>Kathy
>
>Draeger at Winrock.org  (formerly kdraeger at soils.umn.edu)

I have been on E-mail for about 6 months now and I have found it to be
tremendously useful.  I can talk with colleagues in different time zones
without problem, I can stay in touch with friends, and I have learned a great
deal from reading bionet boards, particularly mol bio.methds-reagnts. Over the
last few months through methds-reagnts I have obtained a cDNA library, a
genomic library, a 'free' TA cloning vector, and an expression vector;
therefore it has helped advance my science far more rapidly than staying within
my own institution.  I have also received very helpful advice about research
problems.  Finally, through women-in-bio, I feel considerably more connected
with the outside world; I hope that, since I am relatively more senior, that I
can provide advice and help other, younger women scientists in training.
Whenever possible, even on methds-reagnts I try to contribute my knowledge and
help others as well, so it's not just a one-way street.  In short, I think that
this electronic networking is great, and there certainly isn't any gender-bias.
 Women should not be afraid to participate.  Best of all, I usually do this in
my "free" time; eg., waiting for an appointment to show up or during my morning
(absolutely essential) coffee.

Rae Nishi
Assoc Prof
OHSU