grad student advising

CAUER at canr1.cag.uconn.edu CAUER at canr1.cag.uconn.edu
Wed Sep 15 16:00:59 EST 1993

Hello-

I have just accepted my first graduate student into my lab.  I am a
new faculty member (8 months and still alive) and I will confess to
being a little nervous about advising.  Having looked to my (male)
mentors for advice for so many years, it hardly seems possible that I
am going to perform this role now.

I would like to hear from others concerning their development as
graduate student advisors.  What sage advice can you give?  Where
do you draw a line between letting the student find their own way vs.
jumping in and helping?  How do you get a student started on a
research project and encourage them to present their own ideas?  The
general project area is already defined by grant money for the
assistantship.  What pitfalls should I look for and avoid?

Since I am asking this question, I will introduce myself.  My name is
Carol Auer and I am in the Department of Plant Science at the Univ.
of Connecticut.  My background is in both Botany and Horticulture
with emphasis on plant hormone biochemistry.  I am interested in the
biosynthesis and metabolism of cytokinins, especially as it relates to
the control of plant development.

I look forward to hearing from the net.

Carol Auer
Dept. of Plant Science