MS vs PhD

mcolbert at GENETICS.COM mcolbert at GENETICS.COM
Wed Nov 10 15:49:00 EST 1993

Hi all,

I wholeheartedly agree with Karen Kroslowitz, who says "Life is what YOU make
of it, not what other people *say* you can or can't, should or shouldn't."  I
couldn't agree more.  In fact, I wonder if some people go for the PhD because
someone is telling them they should, instead of them knowing that they really
want it.  I always knew what I wanted to be a priority in my life, and I have
worked hard to make sure I reached that goal.  I have a happy marriage to a
man I have known since I was 15 years old (!) and that is definitely my
priority.  He didn't go to college at all, but was 100% supportive when I went
away to college, and then when I went to graduate school while we were
married.  I had people telling me to stay for a PhD (my advisor and father)
and people telling me to take the MS and go.  I didn't want a PhD.  I
never wanted one.  So I didn't get one.  But the decision was totally my
decision.  I have a job I love, in industry (also what I wanted) and my nights
and weekends are free.  And that is also important to me, to have free time.

Sometimes it is very difficult to decide what it is you want, to separate it
from what other people want for you, or want you to want.  You have to be very
strong to figure it out, but once you do, it will be the best thing for you.
I think this goes for men as well as women.  It is really pretty obvious, but
it seems to get lost sometimes.

Just my opinions!

-Maureen Colbert