PhD vs MS

4700gbera at UMBSKY.CC.UMB.EDU 4700gbera at UMBSKY.CC.UMB.EDU
Wed Nov 10 09:35:38 EST 1993

Carrie Schneider writes: (on PhD vs MS)

>I think this is not necessarily true. While you must have a PhD for an
>academic career, there are many positions in industry for MS
>and BS degree holders. In fact, a PhD may be a handicap for some positions.

I agree with this, except I think the person should really be sure about
what he or she wants to do. I  worked part time in a large
pharmaceutical company a while back and the company had a policy that
directorships would only go to people who held PhDs. It did not matter how
good you were, or how much experience the person may have. (It still seems
rather silly to me). Although, the company did allow some who wanted to
get their PhD to do their research there.

I have no real personal experience with this matter - I have always wanted
an academic career and, as I mentioned earilier, was always encouraged in
the academic world. Of course, as I also said in a previous post, I was
discouraged by my family, especially after I got my MS, my parents being
convinced that only social misfits and the mentally disturbed got PhDs.
(More earning and less learning!) Fortunately, they seem to have gotten over
that notion.

Gina Berardesco
4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu