Publication Statistics

Laura Hyatt lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Fri May 28 09:55:08 EST 1993

I just saw the Guerrilla Girls show here in Philadelphia and it has left
me inspired to do a little investigatory work on my own.  For those of you
unfamiliar with GG, they are an organization of New York women artists who
have gathered and publicised information about major galleries, museums
and art dealers and the proportion of women and people of color that are
shown in the spaces.  They did an especially wonderful historical study of
the Whitney's Biennial, counting up the number of women who have appeared
in multiple shows, contrasting it with multiple mens' inclusions.  They
don't really have statistics on the numbers of women IN art, but I imagine
that you could say that the numbers of male and female artists are
relatively equal.  Their point is that women get the short end of
the stick in the art world (in NYC).

 Anyway, I have decided to investigate some journals in
my field (ecology) and check out the characteristics of women publications
-- are the proportions equivalent to the society memberships?  do women
copublish more/less often? How do women repeat-publishers compare in
numbers to male repeat-publishers?

I'm trying to find out about any other studies that have been done on
publication records, in biology or whatever. Any hints/clues/words of
caution/ideas?  Post'em here, I guess.

Laura Hyatt
lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu