bibliometrics of women publishing in science

Kate MCCAINKW at DUVM.BITNET
Fri May 28 13:46:37 EST 1993

Nothing special comes immediately to my mind with respect to counts of
women's publications, society memberships, etc. with the exception of two
books:

1. The Fair Sex (Jonathan Cole, published sometime in the early-mid 1980's)

2. The Outer Circle (Harriet Zuckerman & Jonathan Cole etc as editors, publ.
   within the past 2 years).

The first is, as I recall, a multivariate analysis of women's position in
science in general -- with an eye to identifying those variables that might
account for/explain/counterbalance the "apparent" discrimination against
women in science.  I haven't read it in a long time.

The second is an edited paper collection with some very interesting more
work on women's status.  My copy is at home, so I can't regale you with the
table of contents, but the editors & authors are all top class.

You could try searching the sociology of science literature online (as a
Penn person you have access to the databases that we poorer neighbors lack).
I don't know who teaches sociology of science at Penn now that Diana Crane
moved on to the sociology of art but someone in HSS might have some ideas
as well.

Kate McCain                        "bibliometrics R us"
College of Information Studies
Drexel University

mccainkw at duvm.ocs.drexel.edu