Back to mentors

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed May 26 18:25:49 EST 1993

In article <120665 at bu.edu> pfoster at bu.edu (Patricia Foster) writes:

>    Well, one of the reasons I originally suggested that mentoring
>may not always be a good thing is that the relationship tends to
>get emotionally charged.  However, I think it is far more likely
>to involve unresolved parental feelings than sexual ones.  I have
>played both roles in such relationships, with equally unpleasant
>outcomes.
>
> pat
>pfoster at bu.edu

Why not expand on it?  In business, mentoring is not uncommonly seen as a
tandem team.  The partnership is rarely a patronizing affair.  There can
be solid alliance reasons for people of different peerage and senority to
cooperate closely.  And perhaps, that difference in peerage and experience
is why it must be a mentoring relationship (parental-like) rather than
taking some other form?

Steve
---