Lovers in science

forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 24 06:06:51 EST 1993

In article <1tp392INNsav at MINERVA.CIS.YALE.EDU>, smith-una at yale.edu (Una
 Smith) writes:

> you mention avoiding direct professional contact if a mutual attraction
> develops:  what does that mean?  Should one of the parties (i.e., the
> junior one) leave the field altogether, or just the department, or just
> find someone else to serve on the committee, etc.  How far must it go?

I'm not altogether unrealistic ;-).  What I meant by avoiding direct
professional contact was along the lines of avoiding the _obvious_
appearance of conflict of interest.  Ie, stay in the same dept, but not
in the same lab.

but I still believe with Patricia that such entanglements are a bad idea
from the start.

susan
forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk