Mentors

Patricia Foster pfoster at bu.edu
Sun May 16 18:50:01 EST 1993

It seems pretty clear what a "role-model" is, but I wonder if we
all mean the same thing by "mentor".  Close relationships between
scientists and their students/postdocs can be destructive. Here are
some questions I would like to see discussed

When did "advisors" become "mentors"?  Is something different meant
by the two terms?  Do men and women expect different things?  When
does "mentoring" become "favoritism"?  Are such relationships
necessarily good for the two parties involved?  For Science?

--
Patricia L. Foster
Boston University School of Medicine
pfoster at bu.edu