role models

Alba Ines Cid aic9w at Virginia.EDU
Thu May 13 23:04:18 EST 1993

hi.
i am an undergraduate studying biology, and i am planning
continuing my studies and going into research.  not only am i a
woman, but i am also part of a cultural minority.  i don't know
exactly what awaits me yet.  i have only begun my contacts with
the scientific organization at large, and the question of being
a woman came up.  i am aware of feminist critiques of science
as far as the epistomology goes.  frankly, i do not care for
them, as i feel they are demeaning to women-- i find them
counterproductive.  but my question is this:  is there really
that much of a barrier for women in science still?  i don't
even mean anecdotal evidence, though that is relevant.  but
what about numbers?  and if there are barriers, what should i
do to avoid them or destroy them?  this question is important
to me, because it hits so close to home, and i would like some
answers.  thanks!
alba