Mentoring & women in sci

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Fri May 7 11:05:51 EST 1993

In article <9305062047.AA44362 at itsa.ucsf.EDU> jharper at ITSA.UCSF.EDU (M. Jane
Harper) writes:
>Elizabeth Harris writes:
>>All of which suggests that yes, girls still need female role models, and the
>>net might be one way to connect budding scientists, but first they may need
>>to be brought into the electronic fold.
>
>This makes me wonder how many women scientists participated in the Ms. Foun-
>dation's 1st Annual take-Your-Daughters-To-Work day?
>
>Any stories?
>
>J. Harper
>jharper at itsa.ucsf.edu

My daughter is only 2, so I thought it was a bit premature to bring her in for
pipetting....However, I talked most of the morning with a 13 yr old niece of an
acquaintance who wanted "Annie" to visit with a "health professional".  Annie
wanted to be a surgeon 'cause her uncle is one.  She was very interested to
find that there were alternatives to being a medical doctor (besides being a
nurse).  I showed her my research lab and talked to her about the bazillion
different things that I did (teaching, research, writing grants, training grad
students, being on review committees, administration, etc etc etc).  She
thought it was "neat" but most of all she liked the centrifuges.  I gave her a
couple of Ependorf tubes and she was on her way.  She wrote a thank you letter
and said she was now interested in running a research lab...

Rae Nishi
cell biology & anatomy
oregon health sciences university