re women and meetings

Cassandra Smith clsmith at DARWIN.BU.EDU
Tue May 4 18:34:23 EST 1993

When I have seen inappropriate references to women at meetings, I have
told the speaker and also urged others who were present (both men and
women) to speak to the offender. In many cases men were also offended,
however, I suspect they would not have thought to say anything unless this
course of action was suggested. Thus, I think it is important to bring
this up to others in the audience at the time an offense occurs. While
on the subject of "you too can make a difference"...

At many conferences women students complain to me about the lack of
women speakers and session chairmen.  I urge the person who has
noticed this to say something to the organizers so the message comes
across loud and clear and from a variety of people. I especially find
it useful to point out to the powers that be that it is extremely
important to have women role models (rather than invoke issues of
fairness) and to have some examples of whom would have been
appropriate. Furthermore, the absence of women is usually noted by a
number of scientist, including some men, whom I also urge to say
something to the organizer.

Cassandra Smith