Science & Clinical Meetings

LISA M. MADSEN madsen at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu
Tue May 4 11:56:55 EST 1993

The basic concept that women and men do science differently is sexist
dogma.  In my experience the only sexual dimorphism in science is not
at the level of intrinsic characteristics but is due to the scientific
societies' view of the role of women.  In our institution men are
treated with kid gloves and are praised constantly for minor tasks.
Women are just expected to do well and recieve no praise.  However, if
a female researcher has problems with experiments (etc.), she is
chastised.

A woman post doc in my laboratory attended the clincal meetings in
Washington D.C. this past weekend.  She wonders whether any other
women in the audience found the introductory slides and statements
of Dr. Stephen Weiss's talk inappropriate (sexist).

Lisa M. Madsen
Pre-Doctoral Fellow
Basic Medical Sciences (Microbiology)
Sackler Institute