% women computer users

Derek K. Miller dkmiller at unixg.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 16 11:51:49 EST 1992

In article <1g84pdINN237 at agate.berkeley.edu> lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu writes:

>I agree.  It seems everyone is just spewing their personal experiences.
>Almost every single one of my female friends is computer literate and
>enjoys computers.  They are mostly younger (<45) and mostly involved
>in the computer industry or science in some way.  Everyone has her/his
>own biased sample from which to draw conclusions.

Actually, there has been some academic discussion about why women don't
appear very often on the net. I just recently sat on our University's
Task Force on Appropriate Use of Information Technology (an ad hoc
set up to determine whether the UBC President's banning of the alt.sex.*
hierarchy was justified or not), and we spent some time discussing the
idea that if the net were more representational of society as a whole
(more women, more Arts and Humanities people, etc.) many of the
problems with sexist language etc. would vanish.

      :=:=> Derek K. Miller                 dkmiller at unixg.ubc.ca
      Researcher, Alma Mater Society        thegrodd at tz.ucs.sfu.ca
      University of British Columbia, Canada