Getting women to use computers

Daniel Zabetakis dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 3 17:46:39 EST 1992

   One problem that often comes to mind is how to get more female biologists
interested in computers and networks.
   I believe that biologists in general have a slight aversion to computers.
That has been my experience. I also think that women in general have a not
so slight aversion to computers. Putting those together, and you have a real
problem for the net.

   It seems to me that the male students here are much more likely to have
interst and experience in computers. The females don't seem to have any
interest until they need to send e-mail to someone, or have a gene they
want to analyse; and very often they get a male member of the lab to do it
for them.

   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

DanZ