[Toxicology] How to decide in vivo and in vitro drug concentrations for preclinical toxicology?

Quin Wills Quin_Wills at msn.com
Fri Jul 29 09:44:06 EST 2005

I'm doing a bit of research into pre-clinical toxicology methods. Could
anybody help me out or point me towards a source of info? The question on my
mind is - once those in drug discovery/development have a lead and want to
assess its toxicity, how do they decide what are the high/medium/low doses
to administer to the animals? Surely there must be some kind of rule of
thumb? What about in vitro assays? Is there a rule of thumb that says, for
example "x concentration of drug in a primary hepatocyte assay is approx.
equivalent to administering x amount of the drug to the animal equivalent"?
Should one try and match in vitro concentrations with in vivo blood
concentrations? I'm trying to get a feel for how this is all done.

---