Toxicity of Petroleum Hydrocarbons to Mature Plants

Turlough F. Guerin turloughg at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 28 06:01:54 EST 2000

Greetings List:

I am conducting a review of toxic effects of petroleum hydrocarbons (PHCs)
to land plants and assessing work that has been done on this as well as
phytoremediation of PHCs in soil. To give some background, my interest stems
from soils at mining sites which have become with polluted with PHCs as a
result of disposal of oily maintenance wastes.

So my focus is : What are the effects of petroleum hydrocarbons in the soil
subsurface on land plants and vice versa?

Specifically, I want to find out if there have been any quantitative
measures of this toxicity reported. In particular is there any information
on whole (fresh or weathered) products or on specific fractions (analogous
to TPHCWG aliphatic and aromatic fractions).

Ultimately I want to be able to make an informed judgement regarding what
happens to grown, i.e. mature plants, when their roots grow into the
contaminated soil (in the PHC source zone) –- are they likely to be
adversely impacted and if so, by how much?

>From my earlier requests, I have only been able to dig up a few papers and
there appears to be only limited quantitative information amongst
practitioners.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Turlough

  TURLOUGH F. GUERIN

  ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISER

  5e Hancock Garden Estate
  5-15 William St. Botany,
  Sydney, New South Wales 2019

  AUSTRALIA

  Phone       +61-2-9666 8570 (& Message Bank)
  Email:      turloughg at hotmail.com or turlough.guerin at bigpond.com