Toxicology of Aspartame (NutraSweet)

Brent Gilbert strider at udel.edu
Mon Aug 2 14:21:02 EST 1999

Moreover, suppose we do eliminate aspartame...which sweetener do we use now?
Return to sacharrin with that bitter aftertaste and, more importantly, that
little message we get regarding laboratory animals and cancer? Perhaps we
could return to cyclamate which is an order of magnitude less sweet than
aspartame, hence we need to use 10X as much get the same sweetness. All I'm
saying is: let's be reasonable. Aspartame is the best we've got (maybe
acesulfame K can compete...have to look into that...) and so long as you're
not taking IV L-phenylalanyl L-aspartyl methyl ester (aspartame,
biochemically), the chances of developing debilitating side effects is
austensibly negligible.

Brent Gilbert