Dose-Response

James Stanley Smith, Jr., Ph.D. jssmith at oak-creek.net
Wed Apr 28 09:52:22 EST 1999

I hope to start a detailed discussion about the following:

How does the cancer dose-response for acetaminophen, the active
ingredient in Tylenol, differ from the cancer dose-response of other
carcinogens?

Acetaminophen is generally considered safe for human consumption, but
has been shown in several studies to cause cancer in rats and mice.
Some scientisits consider acetaminophen to be a carcinogen with a
threshold.  The threshold for acetaminophen carcinogenicity is only
reached at doses that also cause liver damage.  Do we treat
acetaminophen differently from other carcinogens?  And if the answer is
yes, how do we treat acetaminophen differently under the new US EPA
Cancer Guidelines?

--

James S. Smith, Jr., Ph.D.
President & Toxicologist