IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Onions poisonous?

Diana dianavd at eye.usyd.edu.au
Tue Sep 1 21:47:38 EST 1998



William C. Banta wrote:

> Two days ago my mother-in-law's dog, a small spayed female 8-year-old
> beagle stopped eating and got very ill. She took her to the vet, who
> told us the dog was anemic, transfused the dog with blood and ran a
> series of diagnostic tests. I have not seen the test results, and I do
> not know what tests were performed. The dog is still very ill, receiving
> intravenous food. The vet said he contacted a "specialist," who told him
> that the dog was ill from onion poisoning. He said that "any food can be
> poisonous" and that onions are well known to be toxic to humans as well
> as dogs.

There has recently been a lengthy discussion about onion poisoning in dogs
in the Vetmed Email list. It is called Heinz body anemia. Onions contain a
chemical which alters the oxygen carrying capability of blood cells. More
information can be gathered from the Vetmed archives. Diana




More information about the Toxicol mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net