Chloramine Fetal Effects

Charles N. Haas haascn at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Wed Mar 6 07:21:34 EST 1996

In article <4hbgss$7p7 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ljherdez at aol.com (LJHERDEZ)
wrote:

> First of all, if there any duplicates of this message floating around, I
> apologize.  I had difficulty getting this posted correctly.
>
> Now for my question to anyone who can provide journals references, etc.
> I'm a childbirth educator.  One of my families recently learned that
> chloramine is being added to their water system.  The mother is about 30
> wks. gestation.   Since I'm having trouble accessing Medline right now,
> I'm unable to search this subject well.  I'm wondering if anyone on this
> board has info. on this subject or can direct me to other areas that have
> this info.  As of now, I have found nothing to address this subject either
> way.  Please email me at: ljherdez at aol.com.
>
> Thanks in advance!  LJH

There is absolutely no evidence for this.  Chloramines have been used in
drinking water treatment for basically the  entire 20th century.  A number
of large cities use chloramine addition (Denver, Philadelphia, and I
believe parts of Los Angeles, among others).

The only adverse human health effects of chloramines that I am aware of
are in kidney dialysis settings (where the tap water used in the dialysate
can diffuse accross the membrane directly into the blood); in this
setting, where chloramines are employed, other dialysis water (e.g.,
distilled, or carbon treated) must be used.

from the keyboard of:         Charles N. Haas:LD Betz Professor of Environmental Engineering
Drexel University:::Philadelphia, PA 19104
HaasCN at Dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu         OWNER: ENVENG-L
[INSERT USUAL DISCLAIMER HERE]