Search for mutagenicity data

ethst at vms.cis.pitt.edu ethst at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Wed Jan 31 15:36:08 EST 1996

In article <4eaik0$odh at rc1.vub.ac.be>, biochmed at resulb.ulb.ac.be (Biochimie Medicale) writes:

> We are trying to find information on the existing mutagenicity studies for
> a serie of chemicals and we find this kind of information very difficult to access.
> Apparently, most of the studies have been carried on by tox. labs at the request
> of companies willing to test their compounds and results would be kept private and
> not published in the literature.
>
> We would appreciate any info on the existence of databases or of organisms
> compiling these data.

There are three broad, non-congeneric, data-bases that contain chemical
structures and Salmonella mutagenicity assay results:

Gene-Tox (Kier, L.D. et al., 1986, Mutation Res. 168, pp 69-240)

National Toxicology Program (Zeiger, E. 1987, Cancer Res.,47, 1287-1296;
Ashby,J. and Tennant, R.W., 1988, Mutation Res. 204, 17-115; Ashby, J. et al,
1989, Mutation Res. 223, 73-103).

IARC, 1987, IARC monographs on the evaluation of the carcinogenic risk of
chemicals to humans, Suppl. 6.

The first two are largely independent of one another, the IARC data set
overlaps, to some extent, with them.

Greetings, Ernst ter Haar
e-mail terhaar at cbrv2.med.harvard.edu