vote to moderate bionet.toxicology

Chuck Miller rellim at MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU
Thu Jan 4 12:29:42 EST 1996

More on moderation.....

The examples of the junk mail that would not be acceptable for posting to
the tox. group are the recent "Oracle of Man", "Free Sex Pictures And
Videos" and "MDs can get $50,000 on their signature" posts.

Several students (asking for help with homework or papers) and other lay
persons have posted to the group and requested general information that is
normally available in a library or on MEDLINE. The tox group should not be
used as a substitute for a trip to the library. On the other hand,
toxicologists have a duty to disseminate knowledge. I favor allowing these
posts to continue -- at least for now. Some of them are even fun to read!

I welcome such debates as the recent/current discussion on Hg, amalgams,
composite fillings and their toxicities. The tox group was formed just for
this type of scientific discussion. I would hardly characterize the
discussion as a "flame war".  I think all parties have behaved
professionally so far. I appreciate discussions that stick to the
literature/data to support various points of view.

Please post your opinions to the group (toxicol at net.bio.net -- the group's
e-mail address for those in the Americas and Pacific Rim countries or to
toxicol at daresbury.ac.uk if you live in Europe, Central Asia, or Africa).

Virtually yours,

Chuck

Dr. Charles A. Miller,  rellim at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Bionet.Toxicology News Group Discussion Leader
Dept. Environmental Health Sciences
Rm. 374, Center for Bioenvironmental Research
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
Tulane University Medical Center
1430 Tulane Ave. Box SL29
New Orleans, LA 70112
Ph. 504-585-6942, Fx. 504-585-6939