IUBio

overexpressed protein sometime gives two bands

Artem Evdokimov AEVDOKIMOZ at cinci.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 18:51:38 EST 2002

"Jim" <ash_mountain at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:b83c549.0201240704.3268435c at posting.google.com...
> post-translational modifications such as phosphorylation cannot be the
> problem here as you are expressing in E. coli!! Proteolysis seems

Yes they can. There are several examples of E.coli post-translational
modifications :) They're not very common, but they DO happen. Examples
include: histidine phosphorylation, biotinylation, and mysterious
carbohydrate addition to the N-terminus (I have read a paper describing this
recently, but I forgot which journal it was in, so one would have to look it
up if one's interested).

Artem