IUBio

Western blues

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 24 08:56:07 EST 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Dima Klenchin wrote:

> Michael Witty <mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> :> >Another aspect that they repeatidly point to is the possiblity of a short by
> :> >using nitrocelluse or stack paper that is larger than the gel itself. The
> :> >make a big deal about having these exaclty the same size as the gel.
> :> >
> :>
> :> You must be joking (or they are).
> :
> :To support poor old Maniatis: I can see how it is _possible_ to make a
> :short circuit that way.  But difficult once a person is experienced in the
> :method.  Mike.
>
> How? I do not see it possible in wet transfer. Dima

Dima,
    here is how it might happen if the stack of paper towels makes good
contact with the buffer reservoir rather than just touching the gel.  You
have to position the papers towels _really_ badly.  Mike.

 -- >  ---------------------------  Badly positioned stack of gels
   I    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII  Gel
   I    B    U    F    F    E    R
Path of