IUBio

protein synthesis - question

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Jun 2 03:16:06 EST 2000

Christina Benedek <cbenedek at gmx.de> wrote:
> Plasma membrane proteins are synthesised with the help of ribosomes attached
> to the ER, they are simultaneously translocated into the lumen of the ER.

No, they are integrated into the ER membrane in the correct topology
during synthesis. The exact mechanism is still unknown (especially for
proteins which contain more than one transmembrane domain). A rough
overview should be contained in about any recent biochemistry or cell
biology book. Don't be afraid of the English versions; most of the
books are usually written in a very clear style which (IMO) often gets
lost in the translation to German. You will also need the English in
your future career anyway.

HTH,
--Cornelius.