IUBio

removing DNA - The smart solution is - Benzonase

frank.moersberger at merck.de frank.moersberger at merck.de
Fri Jan 8 08:09:17 EST 1999

Dear Silke,

you wrote that you used DNAse and RNAse, I assume with poor success. I'd like
to put your attention to a special endonuclease that is much more effective
(if used properly). It is called Benzonase and it's a recombinant unspecific
endonuclease with a very high specific activity. For a total digestion of
nucleic acids (DNA, RNA, ss, ds, circular, supercoiled) you need only very
small amounts. The preparation is free of any detectable protease impurities,
(that are almost always present in DNAse1 preparations, causing sometimes
trouble). Benzonase needs (as all nucleases) Mg2+ ions for full activity and
does not work very well in phosphate buffers. However in presence of
detergents, urea etc it is quite stable. If you like to know more details
about this enzyme please send an e-mail to: frank.moersberger at merck.de. I can
provide  you  with a product description and application examples.

Best regards

Frank