IUBio

E.coli evolution

JAB5 at VAXB.YORK.AC.UK JAB5 at VAXB.YORK.AC.UK
Wed Jan 29 05:59:00 EST 1992

Dear Colleagues,
   I am interested in the genetic relationship between E.coli subtypes,
particularly B, C, W and how close they are to K-12.
I am aware of the various studies of comparing gene sequences and the
info in the ASM "handbook" for coli and typhimurium. It is on the
gross genetic differences which I am unclear, eg. presence/absence of
genes, operons, metabolic pathways or even whole regions of the
chromosome.
   In addition, I would like to know the amounts of coliB DNA in the
strains HB101 (cotransduction of at least thr and hsd) and MC1061
(apparently a region around ara?).
   Any feedback, info or pointers to relevant literature would be most
appreciated. It is incredible that we know so much about K-12 yet are
unclear on the relationship between this strain and natural isolates
of coli.
  Thanks, and Best Wishes,

  Jim Brannigan
  JAB5 at UK.AC.YORK.VAXA