Research Technician Plant Genetics & Molecular Biology
Currently accepting applications for a Research Technician in the Dept. of Agriculture & Natural Resources, Delaware State University, Dover, DE starting fall 2006. Please send email with a current CV/resume, and letter of interest to Mrs. Lisa Hopkins lhopkins at desu.edu. Interested applicants should also fill out an application form at the job openings link at http://www.desu.edu/hr/.
General Description of the Job The person hired in this position will report directly to Dr. Venu Kalavacharla (email: vkalavacharla at desu.edu, phone: 302-857-6492) in the Department of Agriculture & Natural Resources. Applicants for this position will preferably have a Masters level degree or B.S. with equivalent work experience, interest in plant biology and plant molecular biology/genomics, and experience in basic biotechnological techniques, and working with biological systems. Prior experience in plant biology, host-pathogen interactions or working with model or non-model plant species, managing laboratory, greenhouse and growth room experiments, and mentoring students is an added plus.
Essential Functions The following are the functions essential to performing this job.
1. Conduct plant molecular genetics and genomics research.
2. Manage laboratory, greenhouse and growth room activities.
3. Communicate effectively with faculty, students, DSU Administrators and professional and disciplinary groups.
4. Assist in recruiting and motivating outstanding students and staff, and promote professional development.
5. Provide leadership by encouraging excellence in research, education and outreach activities that are undertaken by the Plant Molecular Genetics & Genomics group.
6. Assist undergraduate and graduate students, and other laboratory staff with research programs.
7. Serves as primary representative for laboratory, greenhouse and growth room activities of the Plant Molecular Genetics & Genomics group and promote its best interests.
Individuals in this job may be assigned one or more of the following tasks on a rotating or as-needed basis.
1. Coordinate undergraduate student research in the laboratory.
2. High school and Community outreach.
3. Research in area(s) of expertise.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Research experience in biology and biotechnology in a college, university, government or industry.
2. Ability to work successfully with diverse students and faculty.
3. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
Qualification Standards 1. Earned Masters level degree or equivalent work experience (in addition to a Bachelors degree) in Biology or Biotechnology.
2. Experience in basic biotechnological techniques and working with biological systems.
3. Interest in plant biology, plant molecular biology/genomics.
4. Not required but added plus: Prior experience in plant biology, host-pathogen interactions or working with model or non-model plant species, management of laboratory, greenhouse, and growth room experiments and mentoring students.
Performance Standards The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Successful completion of the tasks listed as essential functions.
2. Publication and professional presentations.
3. Lab management and mentoring abilities.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex or disability.
Venu (Kal) Kalavacharla Ph.D.
Plant Molecular Genetics & Genomics
Department of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Delaware State University
Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 857-6492
Fax: (302) 857-6402
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengers low PC-to-Phone call rates.