[Plant-biology] Re: Starch

bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu bae at cs.toronto.no-uce.edu
Wed Sep 21 15:10:40 EST 2005

In article <1127328822_19957 at spool6-east.superfeed.net>,
o ...zappatoore <miserveunacasellagrazie at hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>I haven't boiled potatoes in decades -- I usually nuke
>> them in a casserole in the microwave.  I don't peel them either.  Life
>> is too short, it's true that a lot of the nutrients are just under the
>> skin, and just about everybody can use more dietary fibre!
>
>I'm sorry but potatoes don't contain in their skin great lots of solanina
>and nicotina?
>These alcaloids couldn't be so good to increase your life duration!?

Potato tubers only develop significant amounts of toxic alkaloids when
they are exposed to light and turn green.  These alkaloids have a very
unpleasant bitter taste, so people don't normally eat green potatoes
unless they are starving, and even then, you'd have to eat a lot to get
significantly ill.

Humans have evolved to cope with some amount of toxic alkaloids, as
well as to avoid foods containing them by sensitively detecting them as
a bitter taste.

I suspect the butter people put on their potatoes does more to decrease
their life expectancy than the traces of alkaloids in the potato skins!